Maha govt will act after studying HC decision to cancel CET: Minister

0
311



The government will take appropriate action after studying the Bombay High Court order cancelling the Common Entrance Test (CET) for class 11 admissions, state School Minister Varsha Gaikwad said on Tuesday.


The high court has cancelled the CET observing it was a case of “gross injustice” and would be a threat to the lives of students amid the COVID-19 pandemic. A division bench of Justices R D Dhanuka and R I Chagla also directed the state government to start the admission of students for class 11 by considering their class 10 marks and internal assessments and complete the admission process within six weeks.


The CET decision was taken to minimise the educational loss of students. Last year, students had suffered an educational loss. We will study the Bombay high court’s decision and take action accordingly, Gaikwad told reporters.


As per a government notification issued in May this year, the CET was to be held physically on August 21 across the state for all class 10 students before admission to the junior college.


The state department already has a database of some 12 lakh students who are eligible for admission (to class 11). The online admission process is implemented only in major cities like Mumbai and Pune, the minister said.


The government’s decision on conducting a CET had triggered a controversy as it said the question paper will be based solely on the syllabus of the secondary school certificate (SSC) board. The students of ICSE, CBSE and IGCSE boards had expressed their displeasure over the CET move.


Speaking on the High Court’s decision to cancel the CET, Vilas Parab, a teacher, said, The decision is disappointing as many schools have given very high internal marks to the students which inflated their overall scorecards. This (cancellation of the CET) may lead to genuine students losing out to secure admission in good colleges.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here